Saturday, April 29, 2006

Day 65 - I'll Pray for You


Tonight we went to Wellington and did our Story Telling drama. And in addition we had prayer stations. Its a very simple idea; we sat on Cuba Street held signs that said 'I'll pray for you' so people could get prayer from us. You would think that nobody would stop for prayer but surprisingly many people asked for prayer. In fact, 2 minutes after I sat down with my prayer partner Tim a guy named Mitch walked up to us and asked for prayer for his 'bad thoughts' and that he would get a job. Tim ended up spending 4 hours with him helping him find a place to stay in the city. The guy said that he loved how Tim was trying to help him as a form of outreach.

Then we had a couple drunk guys come up to us and after some time of calming them down we prayed for them. 3 teenagers, 1 guy and two girls approached us and asked for prayer. They were being goofy with us and not taking us seriously. But then we asked for their names and what they needed prayer for. One of the girls said she was 3 months pregnant. So I put my hand on her shoulder and asked God to show her that He wants to protect her and the baby and provide for her and that He knows she is afraid and that he loves her. I could tell she went from goofy to serious immediately and after the prayer she didn't look up as she seemed very touched. My friend Marcin prayed for the teenage guy and then I prayed for the other girl. I asked what she needed prayer for and she didn't really say anything. I was trying to help suggest things she might need pray for and I said 'family' and her face turned red and I thought she was going to cry. She quickly said 'yep' and I sensed that she didn't want to say anymore about it. So I prayed for her family situation and that God would reveal himself to her and that he loved her so much. I said amen and I could tell the teens were in a state of shock and they shook our hands and thanked us in a very meaningful way. It was amazing! We're doing this with our youth ministry in Minneapolis when we get home!

Overall about 20 people stopped for prayer in a 5 hour span (only 1 said they believed in Jesus).

We also got tons of side comments. 'Pray for all of us mate, we're going to hell. HAHAHAHA!' 'I'm happy for you, keep on prayin (in a sarcastic tone)' One teenage guy looked me straight in the eye and said 'God isn't real, mate' and then walked away. Another guy thought I was homeless, asked me if I was starving and tried to offer me food.

I think I really experienced the fact that people are very open to talking about God and want prayer. Go church! Get out there and don't be afraid! Just be natural, normal, loving and serving and don't be afraid to say what you believe when asked and people will see God in you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter you look very fit!
Looking forward to seeing you when you get home.

DD

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home