Sunday, September 09, 2007

A Challenge to the Emerging Church

Ok... I know the emerging church is a very, very broad catagory and very few churches call themselves emerging or emergent. They seem to be assigned the name from outsiders.

Anyway, I once heard a critique that emerging leaders often call those who criticize them intolerant, insensitive, mean and divisive. It seems when they get cornered they pull out that card. I see this when it comes to sermons. I have heard some of these emerging leaders say that preaching is an art. And I agree. The problem is that critiquing art is different than critiquing truth. And when you criticize some emerging leaders they take it personal and it attacks their identity and say it is out of bounds to critique because its an art.

Just saying...

1 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Kent said...

Yeah... critiquing art IS different than critiquing truth. Good distinction. If they take the critique personally, then the art must be some sort of "personal expression." And "personal expression" should have very little emphasis when sharing God's word. My opinion.

Glad to see you blogging.

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home