Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Day 12 - We're going back to the basics

Mark Johnson from Minneapolis spoke today. He talked about what it means to be a church, a leader, a pastor and a disciple. He unpacked each of these using Acts 1 - 2, 21. It was great! Do you ever have those AHA moments when you go back to the basics? For instance, I felt something new when Mark was talking about how a Pastor is usually looked at as the up front, big guy. And while he is the up front, face of the church, his job is to be a shepherd to his flock. (See, I told you it was basic)

I don't know, its hard to explain, but I think leadership in ministry has soooooo many distractions that the simple essence of being a shepherd to a flock gets buried. Ugh... It challenges how I evaluate my leadership. Have I been faithful to the flock God has given me? Have I cared for them? Have I stood up for them? Have I protected them? Have I fed them?

Oh, yesterday, I forgot to mention that Gaby and Dirk (a german couple we are living with) showed us pictures of their ministry in India. Wow! Its amazing the work they are doing in New Delhi. They are literally taking people off the street with untreatable Tiburculosis and other diseases and helping them get as well as possible. They have pictures of these men who go from extreme skin and bones to health. India and its state is beyond my comprehension.

Interesting note, Gaby and Dirk say that when they return home to Germany they see more sadness and depressed looks on the peoples faces than they do in India. The contrast amazes them. They say that if you look at a bus in Germany you will see distant, sad and worn out faces but in India the people smile back at you. They told me that from their perspective the people in the western world have greater problems internally than those in India externally (I hope that makes sense).

Well, how should I rap up? I have started leading our worship times here. Worship is incredible in a packed room of radical missionaries from all over the world. What a priviledge! The weather here is bizarre. Its very unpredictable. The locals tell me its because we are on an island. Its clear and sunny and suddenly rain - hard rain - with lots of wind. Then clear and sunny again. The temp is about 60 - 65 degrees. Its nice but because of the wind I have been wearing jeans and a hooded sweatshirt. Tonight I got my first glimpse of the stars down here. I just never thought about looking up.

Seek God today! And pray for Chapel Hill's silent auction this Saturday from 5:30 - 9:00!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home